Seasons for Growth® Programme
Seasons for Growth® is a peer support loss and grief programme, strengthening the social and emotional wellbeing of children and young people who have experienced significant loss and change. This may include the death of a loved one, parental separation or divorce, moving house or school, as well as many other life changes and losses. There is also a Seasons for Growth® programme specifically for children in the aftermath of natural disaster.
Age appropriate groups are available for children and young people between 6 and 18 years. In some centres programmes are also available for adults. Seasons for Growth® respects all cultural and spiritual beliefs.
- The Seasons for Growth® programme is evidence based and supported by extensive research. It is a highly effective education and support programme for children and young people, offered in New Zealand and Australia for the past 20 years.
- Currently around 2,000 children and young people attend Seasons for Growth® programmes nationally each year.
- Seasons for Growth® is wholly owned by Good Grief Limited – Catholic Social Services, Australia. www.centacaremelbourne
- The Catholic Archdiocese of Wellington manages and oversees the Licence for Seasons for Growth® in New Zealand on behalf of Good Grief Limited.
- Anglican Care Waiapu is granted the rights to be an Agency to deliver and promote Seasons for Growth® in the Diocese of Waiapu .
- Within the Diocese of Waiapu – Hawke’s Bay, Eastland and Bay of Plenty – local committees, Coordinators and trained volunteer Companions provide Seasons for Growth® in their community, as a social service and/or parish based outreach
Programmes currently available are:
|Seasons for Growth® Levels 1 to 3 – Age appropriate groups for children aged 6-12 years.|
|Seasons for Growth® Level 4 – Age appropriate groups for young people aged 13-18 years.|
|We also have available a short 4 session programme for children and young people affected by someone they love being seriously ill.|
|Locations - Central Hawkes Bay, Gisborne, Hastings, Mount Maunganui, Napier, Opotiki, Rotorua, Taupo, Tauranga, Te Puke, Whakatane.
|Programmes are available after school at community venues, or in-school by arrangement with the school.|
Why Seasons for Growth?
Seasons for Growth® is for those experiencing change, loss and grief in their family life. For children and young people the loss may be due to the death of someone close to them, the separation or divorce of parents, having a family member in prison, or other major family change.
Seasons for Growth® is based on a belief that change, loss and grief are part of life. The programme provides the opportunity for children and young people to acquire knowledge, skills and attitudes that can help them to adapt to the changes they are experiencing.
The metaphor of the seasons provides a familiar framework within which participants can explore their experiences of grief with others, develop skills and understanding, and restore self-esteem and self-confidence. This occurs in the safe atmosphere of small, age appropriate support groups facilitated by trained caring adults called Companions.
Specifically the 9 sessions of the Seasons for Growth® programme cover:
|1. Autumn – Change is part of life.||6. Spring – Memories.|
|2. Autumn – Change.||7. Summer – Making good choices.|
|3. Winter – Valuing my story.||8. Summer – Moving forward.|
|4. Winter – Naming my feelings.||9. Summer – Celebration.|
|5. Spring – Caring for my feelings.|
The sessions include talking and listening, activities and games, music, artwork and stories. Every child or young person is given a journal to use week by week and to take home to keep when the programme ends, a reminder of their learning and special time in the group.
Seasons for Growth® programme is offered by Anglican parishes and agencies of Anglican Care Waiapu, throughout Hawkes Bay, Eastland and the Bay of Plenty
|Gisborne||Napier / Hastings||Waipawa / Waipukurau / Takapau|
|Opotiki||Rotorua||Taupo / Turangi|
|Tauranga / Mount Maunganui / Papamoa||Te Puke||Whakatane / Kawerau|
Locations in other parts of New Zealand
To find the details of the Seasons for Growth® providers in other areas please click here.